Key Findings of the Sports and Entertainment Digital Maturity Assessement

by: Stratford Managers

Enterprise Vision and Leadership

  • Sports and Entertainment leaders stated their top challenge was creating and getting buy-in for an enterprise digital vision with organization-wide collaboration. Only 13% said there is an integrated vision, owned and communicated by the Executive team with dedicated annual funding.
  • The majority (54%) say certain departments are leading the way, there is collaboration amongst the departments and resources are set aside but the digital strategy is not necessarily fully aligned.

Fan /Customer Experience

  • All participants indicated that customer experience (CX) is a priority, however the degree to which it is managed collaboratively and measured varies greatly:
    • 6% say there is no clear ownership of the CX
    • 38% say CX is on the agenda of certain departments but managed in siloes
    • 39% say CX is part of enterprise vision and cross functional teams are in place
    • Only 17% can say that CX being proactively measured and monitored
  • And only 5% indicate the customer experience is currently consistent and seamless across channels and platforms.

Technology Platforms /Governance

  • When it comes to technology governance and oversight, there is quite a bit of divide. 47% say who is governing the technology assets is not quite clear but the other half (53%) report that governance is firmly established, there is collaboration and sharing of resources across the organization with dedicated annual budget.
  • Many organizations (58%) are struggling with platform integration and legacy systems. Not surprisingly for the sports and entertainment industry, 69% say there is a high level of partner integration to improve customer service and fan experience.

Data and Analytics

  • The majority (51%) report that the value of data is recognized and an enterprise strategy is being formed; customer data is being mapped and integrated where needed. On the other side of the scale, 37% report that data is analyzed and shared manually; there are recognized gaps in data and accuracy.
  • 9% are leading the way and have managed to create a fully optimized data and analytics strategy where data is secure, accurate and integrated and decisions are data-driven.

Innovation / Culture

  • The majority (51%) indicate that there are limited resources and for the most part, junior staff are assigned to digital channels; 32% say there is senior level oversight of the digital strategy but only 10% indicate there is C-suite oversight and know-how.
  • Not surprisingly, a whopping 74% say innovation is very much encouraged and new ideas are welcomed but only 18% say a “test and learn” mentality is an accepted mode of operating.

What is Digital Maturity?

What we call “digital” today goes well beyond the typical responsibilities of IT teams. Digital has become a significant driver for the bottom line in terms of cost savings and revenue uplift. Therefore, what we call “Digital Maturity” has evolved from being able to leverage digital technology only in consumer and marketing channels to leveraging digital and technology holistically across the enterprise.

The maturity assessment is based on an in-depth survey evaluating an organization’s digital readiness against five key dimensions that have been proven to drive digital performance and those five drivers are scored against four stages of maturity (from ad-hoc to optimized):

  • Strategy: enterprise vision, opportunity assessment, digital channels
  • Customer Experience: customer insight, ownership of customer experience
  • Technology and Data: systems, analytics, platform and partner integration
  • Operational Processes: business processes, automation, operational efficiency
  • People and Culture: skills development, collaboration, innovation

The resulting Digital Maturity ScorecardTM provides immediate insight into digital strengths and weaknesses across different parts of the business compared against industry standards. It also serves as a blue print for short term rapid gain and longer term performance.


HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?
LET’S GET STARTED

TALK TO US TODAY