I have spent a lifetime in professional service environments and can tell you that just two things have remained constant:
- Growth has always been (and still is) about building relationships; and
- Management will always be concerned about the sufficiency of the internal habits that build relationships.
When I was recently asked about the business development habits that have proven the most successful for myself over the years, I unpacked “my personal approach to business development in a professional service environment” as follows:
- IMPRESS your clients with exceptional service and a few unexpected value-adds.
- INFORM your clients about other organization wide offerings and capabilities.
- INCREASE the depth and breadth of your client relationships to your organization – yes, you may have to introduce your clients to a few of your colleagues.
- IMPROVE and leverage the varied BD skills of all your teammates.
- INQUIRE about the needs of clients and future clients alike.
- INTEGRATE a BD activity into your calendar every single day. Use whatever BD activity that comes naturally to you – and occasionally some that don’t.
- INITIATE know how to ask for the business – and do it. Your future client is expecting you to initiate this critical (never fatal), conversation.
Jeff is a third generation Ottawa resident with a lifetime of business optimization and professional services experience. He has a passion for assisting progressive, local owners to prepare their businesses for timely growth or for transition. His expert advisory services supports company owners and CEOs with the overall direction of their businesses. Jeff continuously focuses on prudent financial management – particularly when employing “leverage” (other people’s money)!
He enjoys guiding companies to develop and implement great transition strategies for succession or for divestiture. His top clients are well-established family-owned businesses where Jeff can personally “lean in” to develop the critical habits and discipline necessary for the successful realization of fiscal results and stakeholder expectations. When the time is right for you, he can then ensure the smooth execution of your well-documented plans. For more information, contact Jeff.